"There's no such thing as a free lunch," the old saying goes. The new Moving Docs film Free Lunch Society looks into the viability of an unconditional basic income for everyone.
Now we've got some free books to go with the free lunch. Yet again, nothing's really for free... You'll need to tell us in one sentence what you'd do if your basic needs were taken care of by receiving a basic income from the state.
Tell us and win a book: what would you do if you had a citizen's basic income?
Would you quit your job? Pursue your long life dream of becoming a professional drummer? Make no changes and put the extra money in your mattress?
The question of how citizens will react if they were to receive a basic income every month is one of the central questions in the debate featuring in Free Lunch Society. Opponents insist a basic income will just make people lazy and quit their jobs, while supporters of the idea argue it will allow for more productivity and creativity and the pursue of new projects and interests.
That's why Moving Docs would like to know what you would do with a basic income.
The most original ideas will get the 'free book': Basic Income: And How We Can Make It Happen by Guy Standing.
Paul Mason said about this new guide: "Basic Income is an idea whose time has come, and Guy Standing has pioneered our understanding of it... Standing's analysis is vital."
Brian Eno has called the book "essential": "Guy Standing has been at the forefront of the movement for nearly 4 decades, and in this superb and thorough survey he explains how it works and why it has the potential to revitalise life and democracy in our societies."
Now get your hands on this must-read by sharing your vision!
And here are your (un)usual competition disclaimers:
- We're giving away one book every month – at least until the end of 2017.
- If you work for a Moving Docs partner, you're welcome to share your ideas as well – but hey, we can't let you win!
- There's no cash value to claim instead of the book. (See, it is a 'free book' after all!)
- Participants must reside in Europe, as that's how Moving Docs rolls. (Also because we won't pay for shipping to the end of the world...)
- It is not a requirement to go and see Free Lunch Society in order to participate in the competition – but we do recommend it as it will inspire your contribution!
- And if you can't go to a screening of Free Lunch Society, you should at least check out our very own Moving Docs animation. We're quite proud of it: